Andrew Mitchell was appointed Her Majesty’s Trade Commissioner (HMTC) for Europe in July 2018.
Prior to this he was director in a British-based creative and communications agency with international clients among Olympic bid cities and major Games hosts.
Andrew has 25 years’ experience in leading organisations in the public and private sector.
He has previously held senior positions in the Foreign & Commonwealth Office (FCO).
- FCO Prosperity Director (2012 to 2015) with responsibility for the Foreign Office’s international economic work
- FCO Director for the London 2012 Olympic and Paralympic Games
- Her Majesty’s Ambassador to Sweden (2007 to 2011)
- Deputy Head of Mission in Kathmandu, Nepal
- Second Secretary at the British Embassy in Bonn, Germany
HM Trade Commissioner for Europe
The HM Trade Commissioner (HMTC) for the Europe cooperates closely with the wider diplomatic network and other colleagues to coordinate the government effort overseas to promote UK trade and prosperity.
The Trade Commissioner has full responsibility for all Department for International Trade (DIT) work in Europe including:
- growing the overall bilateral trade and investment relationship
- improving market access for British companies, including small and medium sized businesses (SMEs)
- developing finance and trade policy